EMDR: The Basics

So, I have to admit that there are underlying causes as to why I haven't gone into what treatment DID work for dealing with my past trauma, and therefore my picking; 1) It's intense to say the least 2) I've heard it's actually controversial partially because of HOW intense it is 3) It's a long drawn out process that many people won't be able to handle.  But, that's for you to decide, and it's your life.  What worked for me isn't always going to work for others.  This entry is going to give you a little of the science and research on the process.  I will do another entry on my personal experience during it, and probably yet another on what you should really know before starting it.

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing or EMDR for short.  Learn this - know this!  I believe there are books on this technique, but DO NOT do anything without talking to a therapist.  Also, be aware that there is special training for helping patients with this and I highly recommend you make sure your therapist knows WTF they are talking about before attempting it.  It's not something you can dive right into on a first session.  There are steps, and without taking these steps you will be falling down a staircase of mental disasters.  As if any of us need any more of that shit!

There are eight steps involved in the process.  The first being that a trained professional goes over your personal history with you and develops a treatment plan,  which also helps them determine if you are a good candidate.  The second step is to make sure you have the "tools" you will need to help you get through the process.  These include coping techniques, how to deal with stress, etc.  This IS SO IMPORTANT!  If you take this step lightly, you will regret it down the road.  From what I'm reading, steps three through six involve identifying what exactly you need to focus on, such as specific memories.  It is important to identify these, and during these you will identify how an event made you feel before and after the session.  Also, you will evaluate how this event made you feel about yourself, and how it ideally can be changed to something more positive.

During three through six you will be asked to follow your therapists' fingers with a specific memory in mind.  If this sounds like hypnosis - then you need to know it's NOT!  You are aware and present in every single second.  From what Julie told me, following the fingers with just your eyes (not moving your head), from left to right at intervals, unlocks hidden closets of details in the memories.  Reading this, it might sound like total bullshit - but I assure you, that when done right, you will have such a recollection of a memory with details, it will be like you were watching a movie in that instant of a horrible moment in your life.  Short sessions of this are done during one visit, and it's gonna make you break into a sweat and wonder WTF you've gotten yourself into.  The therapist will then help you deal with this anxiety, and "hold your hand" while you practice your coping mechanisms.

The negative feelings toward this memory will be there - but since you identified what positive you could change this negative into, you will be asked to follow the fingers and affirm it to yourself.  After you leave your session, it will continue.  You will need to practice your coping techniques throughout your treatment.  This process unlocks a closet of details that your brain hid to protect you during the moment.  Once you open this closet, it's very important that you stick with it until you are able to clean out the closet and re-file these memories.  If you leave the closet open, shit just keeps falling out without any main goal.

The next steps involve closure and evaluating progress.  If it sounds a little bizarre, then you and I were thinking the same thing at the first hearing of this process.  However, I've been all jacked up since these things happened to me, and I've tried so much more, that I was fed up and over it.  I was at a point where I was going to do whatever it took to unpack this baggage that was on my back.  In other words, I was desperate and determined and open minded.  It was the best thing I could have done.... Julie is my angel for recommending it and helping me through it.

Kathrine Verner has extensive personal experience in improving quality of life by analyzing and taking action to change the affects past experiences, anxiety, and compulsions have in her existence. Stop by and read the blog for humor and a unique perspective at http://www.theinnerskinpicker.com/.


Original article

No comments: